PC vs. euphemism

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sun Mar 30 00:45:25 UTC 2008

You are confusing PC and euphemisms. The latter always existed and
there are dictionaries of euphemisms. PC simply requires one not to
use offensive language towards minorities. You can still think in
racial slur in the privacy of your own WC but you are not expected to
produce it publicly. That's all.

There are PC elements that some older generation people find
objectionable, such as "his or her" instead of "his" referring to
some unknown person, and some similar substitutions where the
reference to ANY person was traditionally in masculine gender. This
is not English specific. There is a growing number of common gender
words in Russian and French uses feminine articles with some
traditionally masculine words, such as ministre. Of course it is not
without some problems, but the language will sort itself out in a
generation or two.

On Mar 29, 2008, at 8:14 PM, Dustin Hosseini wrote:

> But hey, I suppose PC makes the English language appear more
> 'beautiful'
> than Russian since we've learned to express certain concepts with
> several
> more words than necessary; i.e. the lavatory, restroom, W/C (water
> closet),
> the john, the porcelain goddess (I suppose I should say porcelain
> god, so
> that the men don't feel left out and the women less offended...)
> and last
> but not least, the toilet...

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University