PC vs. euphemism

Sun Mar 30 01:39:19 UTC 2008

Alina Israeli wrote:

> You are confusing PC and euphemisms. The latter always existed and
> there are dictionaries of euphemisms. PC simply requires one not to
> use offensive language towards minorities. You can still think in
> racial slur in the privacy of your own WC but you are not expected to
> produce it publicly. That's all. ...

Actually, things are more complicated than that.

When the practice of avoiding racial slurs and accounting for "minority"
groups such as women that had traditionally been left out began, many
people readily adopted it, but there was also a backlash among a
(forgive the expression) minority who felt this was an imposition, a
restriction on their freedom of speech. And some extremists at that end
of the spectrum have fabricated all sorts of horror stories about what
PC "really means" -- that members of a men's basketball team supposedly
must be termed "he or she," that sort of nonsense. So in certain
circles, "PC" has come to be regarded with derision and resentment.

As you said in the part of your message that I snipped, the language (or
rather, the culture) will sort itself out in a generation or two.
Meanwhile, other issues will arise, and we'll evolve and adapt to deal
with those as well. Language is more a reflection of attitudes than the
other way around.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com