AW: [SEELANGS] PC vs. euphemism

FIEGUTH Rolf rolf.fieguth at UNIFR.CH
Sun Mar 30 13:09:57 UTC 2008

Dear Olga,

I agree only with the last sentences of your message. Some twenty or thirty years ago, many speakers of German or French were thinking of their language as you do of Russian. Meanwhile, in Swiss administrative usage, you have always to use both forms "der Professor, die Professorin", "le professeur, la professeure" (!! - horrible to a France French ear and eye), and, at least in German, the reader "der Leser" is frequently replaced by "die Lesenden" or "die Leserschaft" - so maybe, some 20 later, we will have in Russian something like "chitayushchie" or even "chitatel'stvo" (ot chego nas, Bozhe, sokhrani).

All the best,

Rolf Fieguth

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list im Auftrag von Olga Meerson
Gesendet: So 30.03.:37
An: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Betreff: Re: [SEELANGS] PC vs. euphemism

I find the expression 'his or her' unusable in Russian. Chitatel' ozhidal, chto... obviously includes female readers, while chitatel'nitsa ozhidala chto... equally obviously EXcludes male readers. This is the nature of Russian as a grammatically gendered language, period, end of discussion. Chitatel' ili chitatel'nica ozhidali, chto..., in fact, creates a differentiation between the two, that is somehow gender-based--as if it would be understood by default that male and female readers always expected DIFFERENT things. In gendered languages, an attempt to use this formally inclusive language may, in fact, add a sexist tint, or at least a note of a sentimentalist, deliberately Lawrence-Sternian or Karamzinian, gesture to the comment or implicit address. Am I wrong about the French, Alina? (I trust your authority in these matters). In Russian, at least, that is how I feel. Or perhaps even being a character in Molière's "Les Précieuses ridicules". But that is my feeling about man
y types of writing, in English, today. Russian allows a bit less of that. No?