AW: [SEELANGS] PC vs. euphemism

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sun Mar 30 15:05:27 UTC 2008

On Mar 30, 2008, at 9:09 AM, FIEGUTH Rolf wrote:

> Dear Olga,
>
> I agree only with the last sentences of your message. Some twenty
> or thirty years ago, many speakers of German or French were
> thinking of their language as you do of Russian. Meanwhile, in
> Swiss administrative usage, you have always to use both forms "der
> Professor, die Professorin", "le professeur, la professeure"

Indeed, I think it started in Switzerland and then moved onto the
rest of the French speaking world. These days with cyber
communications things should move faster. Just in the News (French
Google News) "553 pour auteure" which means it's been in the news
fairly recently, "8 949 pour la-ministre" (it added hyphen, not me).
If only 4x20+10 were no longer in use.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW