a possibly minority position

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Mon Mar 31 01:17:22 UTC 2008

In British English the toilet unit itself is called, in a hardware
catalogue, a 'toilet pan' (hence the expression 'down the pan' = gone to
waste, ruined) or sometimes 'toilet pedestal', or just 'toilet', and
this is indeed the Russian 'unitaz' (from the British brand name Unitas,
c. 1870 - I have seen several with this trade mark in older Russian
houses). But 'toilet' is vague and can also be a room or whole edifice,
e.g. a public toilet.

British and American euphemisms in this area differ a good deal and can
be a source of embarrassing international misunderstanding. I remember,
as a young student still unfamiliar with US English, being accosted by
an elderly American lady in the Bodleian Library in Oxford who asked me
if I could direct her to 'the little girl's room' (I am not sure where
the apostrophe goes). I was genuinely puzzled by this and unable to help
her.

Will Ryan