Ukrainian stress

Dan Newton danewton at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri May 2 07:17:14 UTC 2008

Dear all,

I have a question for anyone familiar with Ukrainian.

In Musorgskii's opera Soroschintsyi Fair, there is this line: "Razve
mozhno s moei dochkoi takto obrashchat'sia?"  The musical line is
such that the word "moei" is stressed on the first syllable, contrary
to Russian speech.  I'm wondering whether this is a case of the late
stages of alcoholism (i.e., bad composition) or simply a
Ukrainianism.  Would Ukrainian stress the first syllable?

Thank you in advance.

Dan