Ukrainian stress

Maria Dmytrieva xmas at UKR.NET
Fri May 2 07:53:07 UTC 2008

I would rather doubt it has anything to do with either of your hypotheses.
in Ukrainian the stress will also be on the second vowel, mo_ye_yu.
but both in Russian and in Ukrainian the stress in poetry can shift from its normative position to follow the rhythmic pattern of the verse.

With best regards,
Maria

Dear all,

I have a question for anyone familiar with Ukrainian.

In Musorgskii's opera Soroschintsyi Fair, there is this line: "Razve
mozhno s moei dochkoi takto obrashchat'sia?" The musical line is
such that the word "moei" is stressed on the first syllable, contrary
to Russian speech. I'm wondering whether this is a case of the late
stages of alcoholism (i.e., bad composition) or simply a
Ukrainianism. Would Ukrainian stress the first syllable?