Ukrainian stress

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Fri May 2 19:23:47 UTC 2008

Geoffrey makes a good point. In English, consider the song of the Lord
Chancellor in his unfortunate encounter with the Fairy Queen in Gilbert
and Sullivan's Iolanthe:

A plague on this vagary,
I'm in a nice quandary!
Of hasty tone
With dames unknown
I ought to be more chary;
It seems that she's a fairy
 From Andersen's library,
And I took her for
The proprietor
Of a Ladies' Seminary!

Six out of  ten words at the end of the lines can only be sung with
non-standard stress. It is true that Gilbert was looking for comic
effect, also true that he enjoyed mocking serious opera.

Will Ryan