Ukrainian stress

Sat May 3 00:36:46 UTC 2008

Kathryn Ambrose wrote:

> Lynn Anderson sang the original, and it's also been covered by Martina
> McBride.

I'm aware of that, but not which version Daniel has in mind.

A careful examination yields the following scansion (best viewed in a
fixed-width font):

A minor, 4/4 time
| ...   I     nev-er prom-ised you  a  | rose__ gar__-den__ |
| ... there's got-ta  be  a    lit-tle | rain__ some_-time_ |
| (1)   &      2  &    3  &     4   &  | 1 &  2  & 3  & 4 & |
|       D      D  E    F  F     E   D  | D ED C  C__  E____ |

Thus, both "gar-" and "-den" are stressed, though each starts an eighth
note before the beat. Moreover, since "gar-" is associated with the
third beat, it could be called "more stressed" than "-den," which is
associated with the fourth beat.

On the other hand, we hear an upward jump by a major third (from C/до to
E/ми), which could lead some listeners to hear an accent on the fourth beat.

On the _other_ hand, with movable do, the C-E is interpreted as me-sol
(in A minor/ля-минор), so we hear less tension (more resolution) on "-den."

Here's a midi version for those who can import it into music notation
software, or who just want to listen:
<http://www.bajeca.com/volume/rosegarden.mid>.

And here are the lyrics, from the same site:
<http://www.bajeca.com/volume/rosegarden.shtml>.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com