Ukrainian stress

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Sat May 3 05:49:22 UTC 2008

Dear Paul,
I don't recall who performed that song, but I can hear it in my head,
and I hear a distinct word stress on that last syllable - "garDEN."
And when I sing it aloud the stress is there too.

As I look at your notation, I see that we may have different ideas of
what a "foot" is.  Do you perhaps have in mind "measure" instead of
"foot?"  In any case, Will Ryan has offered more examples, and the
stress shifts there are very deliberate.  But note that they are all
at the end of the line.  This is like Russian, where there is a
requirement that the final ictus be fulfilled (the "law of the end of
the line" - James Bailey).  It seems, then, that in English as in
Russian, the law of the end of the line trumps even phonemic stress
placement.  But in Russian I have found this happening elsewhere than
in the final foot as well (there are many complications).

Once upon a time I worked out this and related metrical issues in
great detail (please see various items on the web site).  I do
remember that the 20 native speakers in one study each grew
increasingly grumpy as we moved through the 28 poetry selections where
in half the cases a pronunciation choice HAD to be made between
violating word stress or violating the metrical rhythm.  And it is
curious that the three published poets (Sasha Sokolov, Aleksei
Tsvetkov, Eduard Limonov) shifted word stress significantly more often
than did the rest of the sample (p less than .025 on Mann-Whitney U
test).

All of which illustrates Roman Jakobson's 1923 thesis that poetic form
is "organized violence" inflicted upon language.

Cheers to the list.

http://Rancour-Laferriere.com