Ukrainian folk tale [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

nataliek at UALBERTA.CA nataliek at UALBERTA.CA
Wed May 14 08:58:26 UTC 2008

I'm traveling oversees at the moment and can't do it myself, but I
would suggest trying the Tale Type Index, actual title is Types of the
Folktale.  It lists international tale plots and you look in the back
to find a very condensed version of what you want, then refer back to
a fuller summary and countries of location.  NK

Quoting Subhash.Jaireth at GA.GOV.AU:

> Hi All,
>

> I am trying to trace down an Ukrainian folk tale. The story is quite
> 'simple'. A prince challenges his people to guess his name. The condition is
> a bit odd: those who guess it wrong would get gifts of gold and the one who
> guesses it right would loose his head. A beautiful woman comes to him telling
> him that she knows his name but by that time the prince has fallen in love
> with her and wants to marry her. She accepts the proposal but on one
> condition......
>

> Can any one point me to the whole text (Russian or English)?
>

> Thanks and best wishes
>

> Subhash

Natalie Kononenko
Kule Chair of Ukrainian Ethnography