V/na firme

Dustin Hosseini dustin.hosseini at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 27 10:46:26 UTC 2008

Dear Robert,

I asked both of my colleagues, who are both native speakers of Russian, and
they both gave 2 different answers: one agreeing with yours, and one that's
just the opposite of what you gave.

But, one did insist, as you've stated, that 'v' is used when speaking of it
as a state "Ya rabotayu v firme" but "na" is used when thinking of it in
geographic terms: "Ya sejchas na firme" i.e. "I'm at the company right now"

Then there was another variant... "Ya rabotayu NA firmu" = "I work *for* the
company"

If this is a bit too confusing, or the answer is hard to find, then you
could always just use "kompaniya" as it's used far more often according to
Google (514 million hits compared to 113 million for 'firma').

Best of luck,

Dustin