New Jersey Commission on Holocaust Education

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Sun Oct 5 13:58:28 UTC 2008

While I certainly agree with Robert and Olga about almost
everything--including, of course, the genre of Shalamov's stories--I
disagree that these stories would not necessarily be appropriate for high
school students. Ultimately, that choice would be up to those making the
final choice of materials to use, but I think they have two important
virtues for this purpose: they're short and powerful. Unless I am
misrecollecting, I don't think the request was for exclusively memoiristic
materials.

All best wishes,
David Powelstock