New Jersey Commission on Holocaust Education

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at BUFFALO.EDU
Sun Oct 5 19:26:39 UTC 2008

I am not aware whether a translation of Olitskaya's "Moi vospominanija"
exists in English. I read it in Samizdat.
Her book was published in Germany: E. Olitskaya, Moi vospominaniya
(Frankfurt/ Main, Possev-Verlag, 1971)
Quoting from Richard Stites (The Women's Liberation Movement in Russia:
Feminism, Nihilism, and Bolshevism, 1860-1930 [1978 - Social Science -
464 pages]), "The fullest memoir of the period is Ekaterina Olitskaya, Moi
vospominaniya."
I second this. If you search her name on the Internet as Ekaterina or
Yekaterina, you cannot find much in English, and I could not find the text
available as a pdf-file either. But some libraries do have it, and it
might be still available through the publisher.
Olitskaya was one of the first prisoners of GULAG, and her memoir covers
the whole history of the camps. She has already spent there more than 10
years when L. Ginzburg was just arrested.

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at buffalo.edu>