historical origins of drinking gesture

ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Oct 11 00:19:54 UTC 2008

At 03:22 PM 10/10/2008, you wrote:
>According to an article on drinking in Russia in ETHNOCULTURAL FACTORS IN
>SUBSTANCE ABUSE TREATMENT, Peter had those loyal to him branded on the chin,
>which entitled them to a free drink in bars.

I feel I have entered some alternate universe.  Is it really the case
that people don't know that
the finger-neck routine is a simple icon representing the expression
"zalit' za galstuk"--one of a jillion
synonyms for taking a drink, and if I remember correctly is a
translation from some language like German?
Of course all these stories were invented by people too drunk to
*say* zalit' za galstuk.
If I missed the opening of this discussion in which everyone agreed
that that is of course the real
explanation, then I apologize.
Jules Levin