historical origins of drinking gesture

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Sat Oct 11 01:56:41 UTC 2008

Jules Levin wrote:

> Is it really the case that people don't know that
> the finger-neck routine is a simple icon representing the expression
> "zalit' za galstuk"--one of a jillion
> synonyms for taking a drink, and if I remember correctly is a
> translation from some language like German?
According to "Russkaia frazeologiia: Istoriko-etimologicheskii slovar',"
compiled by A. K. Birikh, V. M. Mokienko and A. I. Stepanova (Moscow,
2005) the expression zakladyvat'/zolozhit' (propuskat'/propustit',
zalivat'/zalit') za galstuk is an internationalism with such parallels
as French "s'en jeter un coup (un verre) and German "einen hinter die
Binde giessen." However the dictionary also cites an earlier opinion by
Mokienko that "oborot iavliaetsia sobstvenno russkim, that it dates from
the first half of the 19th century and that P. A. Viazemskii attributed
it to a "gvardeiskii ofitser" named Raevskii.

Bob Rothstein