Hair & Dress in Imperial Russia

nataliek at UALBERTA.CA nataliek at UALBERTA.CA
Wed Oct 15 19:25:27 UTC 2008

As I recall, there are some hair beliefs in Will Ryan's Bathhouse at
Midnight: Magic in Russia.  And also in Linda Ivanits, Russian Folk
Belief.

Will Ryan is on this newsgroup and can probably answer better than I.

Natalie Kononenko

Quoting "Colleen McQuillen" <cmcquill at UIC.EDU>:

> Dear Allison,
>
> You might want to check out Raisa Kirsanova's books on costume and dress:
>
> Kostium v russkoi khudozhestvennoi kul?ture 18-pervoi poloviny 20 vv.
> : opyt entsiklopedii
>
> Stsenicheskii kostium i teatral?naia publika v Rossii XIX veka
>
> Russkii kostium i byt XVIII-XIX vekov
>
> I don't think she deals explicitly with hair, but she does include
> hats and other hair coverings. I'll be interested in hearing other
> people's recommendations.
>
> All the best,
> Colleen
>
> ***
> Colleen McQuillen
> Assistant Professor
> University of Illinois at Chicago
> 1628 University Hall, MC 306
> Chicago, IL  60607
>

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Allison Leigh-Perlman
> <lperlman at eden.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend some good source material regarding the covering of
>> female hair and its 'magical' qualities in 18th-century Russia or
>> earlier?  I'm
>> also interested in histories of costume/dress of the same time period.  Any
>> recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Allison Leigh-Perlman
>>
>> Graduate Assistant
>> Jane Voorhees Zimmerli Art Museum
>> Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey

Natalie Kononenko
Kule Chair of Ukrainian Ethnography
University of Alberta
Modern Languages and Cultural Studies