Hair & Dress in Imperial Russia

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Wed Oct 15 20:02:53 UTC 2008

I have only just seen this, but since I have been cited I would
recommend looking first at the 4-page entry 'volosy' in Slavianskie
drevnosti, vol. 1, Moscow, 1995. The only problem with it is that it is
anthropological and not historical in emphasis - but there is a great
deal about hair and magic, and short sections on unbound and uncovered
hair. You will find some references to hair and magic in my own history
of Russian  magic, The Bathhouse at Midnight, PSUP, 1999, see index
under 'hair' (or the rather better index in the Russian version: Bania v
polnoch', NLO, Moscow, 2006). The trouble with folk beliefs is that most
are recorded in the nineteenth century and later and it is usually
difficult to say much about their history. Even so, many beliefs and
practices recorded in the nineteenth century are likely to have been
prevalent in the eighteenth century also, or even earlier.
The Pauline injunctions (1 Corinthians 11:4-16) on covering hair, and
the Russian custom of cutting off the long hair of brides at their
wedding, would have been significant, and indeed affect the kind of head
covering which women wore.
Will Ryan