Grad. study at Univ. Illinois Urbana-Champaign

mcfinke mcfinke at UIUC.EDU
Thu Oct 23 16:58:24 UTC 2008

PLEASE POST:

The Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures of the University
of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) invites applications from
prospective graduate students pursuing a Ph.D.  The Russian classics
continue to play a vital role in our program, but our faculty and
Ph.D. program in Slavic Languages and Literatures also encourage
interdisciplinary work, including cultural studies approaches and
comparative Slavic studies.

Qualified students beginning their graduate career will be offered
five years of financial support (including fellowships, teaching
assistantships, summer support, research assistantships). We welcome
applicants who have completed an M.A. in Slavic Languages and
Literatures (or such related fields as Comparative Literature)
elsewhere.

In the past five years, the UIUC Slavic department has experienced a
renaissance.  In addition to the young, exciting scholars who have
joined the department in this period, affiliate appointments have
been extended to faculty in departments such as History and Art
History, facilitating interdisciplinary work. The faculty of the UIUC
Slavic department represent a broad range of interests and
methodological approaches, including the intersections of literature
and law, medicine, and psychoanalysis; Russian-Jewish Studies;
intellectual history; gender, sexuality, and the body; Stalinist
culture; film history and theory; Czech revival culture; nationalism
and literature; Polish modernism, the avant-garde, postmodernism, and
visual culture; exilic and émigré literature; and East European pop
culture. We invite you to consult the listing of our faculty, their
research interests, and their recent publications on the newly
revised departmental website (http://www.slavic.uiuc.edu/people/).

UIUC has valuable resources for graduate study in the Slavic fields.
The Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center (REEEC), a federally-
funded national resource center established in 1959, sponsors a
variety of programs—including the annual Summer Research Laboratory
on Russia, Eastern Europe, and Eurasia—and funds graduate student
conference travel and fellowships. The Slavic Library is home to the
third largest collection in North America and is the central resource
for the Summer Research Lab. We also maintain close ties with the
Program in Comparative and World Literature, the History Department,
the Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory, the Unit for Jewish
Studies, and the Unit for Cinema Studies. Departmental collaboration
with the newly established Center for Translation Studies at UIUC
offers yet another arena for interdisciplinary research and
acquisition of credentials complementing the M.A. and Ph.D. in
Slavic.  The department regularly hosts and co-sponsors conferences
and participates actively in cross-campus and interdisciplinary
initiatives.

Most students admitted to the program receive teaching assistantships
and gain experience conducting classes at all levels of Russian,
Polish, Ukrainian, Czech, Serbian and Croatian, Bulgarian, Yiddish,
or Turkish. There are also opportunities to teach undergraduate
literature and culture courses. Some students gain an insider’s
perspective on scholarly publishing through editorial assistantships
at _Slavic Review_ or internships with the Dalkey Archive publishing
house, now located on campus. The Slavic department is also able to
offer university fellowships and research assistantships to some
incoming and continuing graduate students. Foreign Language Area
Study (FLAS) fellowships administered by REEEC and the campus
European Union Center have consistently provided our graduate
students with funding for both introductory and advanced training in
Slavic languages. University scholarships are available to minority
students. UIUC also offers competitive on-campus and off-campus
dissertation fellowships.

To learn more about the opportunities and resources at UIUC and to
learn how to apply, please visit our website:	http://
www.slavic.uiuc.edu/graduate/

The application deadline is Jan. 1, 2009.  We will continue to
consider applications after this date on a case-by-case basis, but
late applicants are likely to have greatly diminished prospects for
financial support.

Please contact us with questions about our program or the application
process!

Harriet Murav <hlmurav at illinois.edu>
Head, Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures

Michael Finke <mcfinke at illinois.edu>
Director of Graduate Studies

Michael Finke, Professor
Director of Graduate Studies