Help!

Sarah Hurst sarahhurst at ALASKA.NET
Fri Oct 24 22:32:57 UTC 2008

Hello Lise,

I don't have any certification other than a degree in Russian language and
literature, but I have translated books and articles for a chess publishing
company (as I had also written articles about chess), and I am currently
also working for an agency called Language Interface, http:/www.langint.com,
which has daily deadlines and pays reasonably (and reliably), but it's not
literary work, it's all business-related, if you're interested in that. They
accept CVs online and then give you a test of your translation skills.

I did a quick search for publishing companies that publish Russian
literature, how about Ardis? - http://www.ardisbooks.com/ - I suggest just
contacting them and other publishing companies that look promising and
asking if they need translators. In general I've found that people care more
about your experience and skills than about certification.

Sarah Hurst

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Lise Brody
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 1:51 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Help!

Hello Seelangers,

I have been out of the academic loop for many years, and only recently
joined this listserv.  I wonder if anyone has any advice for me:

I have a degree in Russian language and literature, and several published
translations (Russian to English) under my belt.  After a hiatus of about 15
years, I am interested in pursuing translation work again - but I find
myself mystified by the plethora of on-line agencies, associations,
certifying bodies, etc that I find on-line.  In the old days, I got work by
word of mouth, but that was a long time ago, and now I have no idea where to
start.

So.

1)       Can anyone give me any words of wisdom for navigating the on-line
world?  What agencies are legit?  Should I get myself certified and, if so,
with whom?  And where does one find serious literary work if one is not
hooked into the academic world?  (My earlier translations were all
literature, and they were published by respected university presses, etc -
but I've only been able to track down a couple of the editors I worked for
back in the day.)

2)       If anyone is looking for a translator for a current project, please
keep me in mind - I would be happy to send my CV, work samples, and
recommendations.

I hope this is not an inappropriate use of the listserv.  Thanks so much!

Best,

Lise Brody