Help!

Sat Oct 25 03:34:03 UTC 2008

Lise Brody wrote:

> Hello Seelangers,
>
> I have been out of the academic loop for many years, and only recently
> joined this listserv.  I wonder if anyone has any advice for me:
>
> I have a degree in Russian language and literature, and several published
> translations (Russian to English) under my belt.  After a hiatus of about 15
> years, I am interested in pursuing translation work again - but I find
> myself mystified by the plethora of on-line agencies, associations,
> certifying bodies, etc that I find on-line.  In the old days, I got work by
> word of mouth, but that was a long time ago, and now I have no idea where to
> start.

If you have four days to spend immediately after election day, the
American Translators Association annual conference is in Orlando from
Nov. 5 to 8. We normally attract about a thousand translators and a wide
variety of agencies and companies, as well as book and software vendors.
If you hate it, you can always spend the last day or two at Disney
World. ;-)

Oh, and BTW we have a strong and active Slavic Language Division, and
I'm sure you'd profit by picking those people's brains.

<http://atanet.org/conf/2008/>

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com