Russian lit help request

Daniel Klein dklein at GMU.EDU
Tue Oct 28 15:26:15 UTC 2008

I am compiling a set of quotation about hazards to intellectual integrity,
particularly as arise from social and institutional pressures.

Years ago when I read some Russian lit I found some passages about the
Russian civil service as a massive employer,  about how people strove to get
employed there, and had to be respectable and establishment-minded.

I write to ask if anyone might be able to point me to pungent passages with
this flavor.

Something to the effect that as a huge status apparatus and employer, the
civil service works to keep thinking in society in general close to the
establishment, officialdom, "within the 40 yard lines."

Thanks very much in advance for any attention you can give me on this.

Dan Klein
Professor of Economics
George Mason University