"gender neutral pronouns"

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Thu Sep 4 14:10:55 UTC 2008

Dear all,

I¹m curious to know how people react to the following sentence:
³Pushkin was both Russia¹s greatest poet and its first great historian.²

It is by me, as changed, against my wishes, by one of my editors.  To my
ear, it grates horribly.  I would prefer Œher first great historian¹.
Apparently ³house style¹ favours ³gender-neutral pronouns².

Am I being silly, sentimental, old-fashioned, sexist...?  Does anyone else
feel strongly, either way, about this?

Best Wishes,

Robert