Translation question

lino59 at AMERITECH.NET lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Thu Sep 4 14:46:57 UTC 2008

You could try to play off the expression "to the glue factory" i.e. send
one to the glue factory, give the other a garland.

 There's another expression "to the knacker's" but it's not that common in
U.S. English.

 Or choose a different idiom such as "Give one the boot, the other a
cigar." The use of giving idioms to express approcal and disapproval
might be worth brainstorming as there are many: give the boot, give a pink
slip, give a cigar (or an R.G. Dunn for those old enough to remember), give
a raspberry, give walking papers, get the axe, get the hook, give a hand,
give a round of applause, give the nod, etc. etc.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 21:50:10 +0100
From: "Wilkinson, C" <cxwilkinson at GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
Subject: Translation question

Dear All,

I would appreciate any suggestions for translating the second part of
the following headline into suitably colloquial English:

îðï ëùòçùúóôáîá: ðòåúéäåîôá - îá íùìï,
ðòåíøåòá - îá ðøåäåóôáì!
NPO Kyrgyzstana: Prezidenta - na mylo, prem'era - na p'edestal!

The full article can be found here: http://older.gazeta.kg/view.php?i=17472

I understand the meaning (dissatisfaction with the President while the
Prime Minister is seen to do no wrong), but a suitably concise and
snappy English version is eluding me.

Many thanks in advance.

Claire Wilkinson

options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: