"gender neutral pronouns"

Wilkinson, C cxwilkinson at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 4 15:22:09 UTC 2008

My personal preference in English is for "its" over "her"  on the grounds
that countries are not inherently gendered (other than grammatically in some
languages) and also that it sounds old fashioned and emotive.
Lloyds of London announced that it intended to refer to all ships as "it" in
1998, but rescinded the decision after complaints -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/the_economy/138678.stm

Consensus seems to be that the practice of using gender-specific pronouns
with countries, if not ships, is declining. No doubt some people will lament
this fact, while others, myself included, welcome it.

Best wishes,

Claire Wilkinson