"gender neutral pronouns"

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Fri Sep 5 11:43:05 UTC 2008

Good points, and I agree. As an editor and writer myself I would let
style and context guide my choice - and my preference would no doubt be
influenced by my age, educational background, politics etc. I asked my
wife, also an academic (historian) but younger than me, what her choice
would be - she said she uses both depending on context but felt the
'she' option for countries was slightly more old-fashioned. There could
well also be a difference of preference in different parts of the
English-speaking world. With regard to ships, I asked my schoolboy son
(18), who goes on occasional cadet courses in the Royal Navy, what the
current colloquial use is there and he said immediately 'she', and
seemed slightly surprised that anyone should object to this.

With regard to the German and Soviet examples quoted below I think there
can be a subtle difference between 'she' and 'her' - in the cases where
'she' doesn't sound right, 'her' might. Extending the German example
given, one could certainly not replace 'she' with 'it' ("it started it")
but one might well write "Why did they invade Germany? - Well, Germany
started it but claimed her vital interests were at stake". In that case
'its' would sound quite odd to my ear. As you say, try every permutation
- a carefully designed multiple-choice questionnaire might produce
interesting results.

This is a wonderfully delicate matter, and all the more reason for
tone-deaf publishers' desk editors not to impose ill-considered house
rules on their authors.

Will Ryan