"gender neutral pronouns"

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Fri Sep 5 14:39:30 UTC 2008

There have been several very interesting points made on this issue.
But I would hesitate before calling the desk editors "tone-deaf."
When I mentioned the debate to my husband (both of us are in our 30's)
this morning, his first assumption at my rather rough explanation was
that the "her" was the debatable point and not the "its."  I suspect
that this is more of a question of age and of the language habits that
go with them.  To younger ears the "her" sounds (as has been
mentioned) potentially quaint and affected when referring to
countries, with perhaps poetic connotations (which, it could be
argued, might be appropriate in a piece having to do with Russia's
most beloved poet).  But in our 30-something standard English "its"
would be the default (and not an error) and "her" the one with
particular connotations (and potentially inappropriate).  This strikes
me as being neither more nor less than an example of natural language
change, the study of which gives linguists such good employment --
but, I might add, generally irreversible in its force and direction.

As a sort of footnote, I expect that the use of "an" in front of the
words with pronounced "h's" (an historian vs. a historian) is going to
disappear by the next generation or so.  The present perfect, it seems
to me, has already undergone a fairly fundamental shift in standard
usage where "did you eat?" is as acceptable as "have you eaten," in
ascertaining whether or not someone is, at this moment, still hungry.

Respectfully,

Emily Saunders