'Have you eaten?' and 'Did you eat?'

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed Sep 10 14:36:42 UTC 2008

What's getting lost here is first and foremost that not all verbs are
created equal, as Mr. Vendler explained some 50 years ago (I think
this is it: www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~agatt/teaching/dl/vendler57.pdf ).
Позвонить, спрятаться, съесть and let's add упасть or стукнуть are
very different.

Prjatat'sja is a state (an no, I am not going to write a whole paper
here) and behaves differently from the other three groups
(activities, achievements, accomplishments) and their translations
may at times vary.

Second important issue in questions asked is Who asks whom? in case
of Ty zvonil/pozvonil domoj? or Ty el sup? vs. Ty s"el sup? and what
do both participants know at the moment of speech and what are the
expectations vis-a-vis the action, i.e had there been a previous
discussion or exchange regarding the action?

On Sep 10, 2008, at 1:22 AM, Dustin Hosseini wrote:
> Russian-speaking students of English as a foreign language tend to
> struggle
> with the perfect tenses and quite a bit.  These learners/speakers
> tend to
> use the present perfect more often than not in cases where the present
> perfect isn't needed, depending on the depth of their knowledge of
> English.
>  i.e. Have you called me today? vs. Did you call me today?

In this case I would like to blame the textbooks and grammar books
that treat tenses as grammatical forms and nothing else. But in fact
if "you have called me today" I should know about it. In other words,
calling is a two-way communication, and if YOU were calling ME, I am
the one to know. It's a different story if I asked

Have you called your parents?

particularly if this was discussed before or otherwise expected.

AI

On Sep 10, 2008, at 9:39 AM, Alex wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Did I understand it correct, that for the "Past (or Present)
> Perfect" in
> Russian we should use SIMPLE PAST in English and vice versa?
>
> For example: Луна спряталась за облака - The Moon hid behind the
> clouds...
>               but: Луна пряталась за облака(ми) - The Moon has
> hidden behind
> the clouds...

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University