AW: [SEELANGS] Grossman question

Vadim Besprozvanny vbesproz at UMICH.EDU
Fri Apr 3 16:53:03 UTC 2009

Dear Katarina,

I understand your arguments but 1) at the time of German occupation many
Russian words were used extensively either in transliteration or in
translation (such as 'starosta', 'gorodskoy golova'. In any case I do not
know any violation of the language tradition in these translations. 2) In
1941 the total population of Berdichev was above 60,000 people (somewhat
underestimated data). It is hardly possible that one person was appointed
to supervise every block of the town. 3) The previous job of the character
('agronom') corresponds better with the matter of 'statistical reports'
submitted on a quarterly basis. These reports on various matters were
required by the Nazi government.

Again, I'm not familiar with  any examples of using 'kvartal'ny' as a
synonym for 'pokvartal'ny'. The final and viable choice can be made though
only by finding a source of extraliterary application  of this "job title".

With best regards,

Vadim

>> As far as I remember your question was re "поквартальный
>> уполномоченный". The prefix "по-" makes a big difference
>> here indicating that this word is tied to "поквартально"
>> which
>> means "quarterly". I.e., the character was a person-in-charge appointed
>> quarterly. Actually, the word "уполномоченный" (which is
>> far
>> from "надзиратель") supports this version.
>>
>> VB
>>

> Dear Vadim,
> I would like to call your attention to the period - it's period of German

> occupation,which really happened. July 7,1941 began German occupation of
> Berdichev. If you read the story  Staryj uchitel - it seems to be  much
> more
> a document and not only a literary story.  Grossman new very well
Berdichev

> and  the Jewish question. His mother was assasinated (ee zastrelili
> fashisty ) and his elder son Michael  died from a bomb  (ot vzryva bomby
-
> vse eto nachodit svое mesto v povesti).
> Надо  знать,что управление территориями
> ,оккупированными немецкими