AW: [SEELANGS] Grossman question

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Fri Apr 3 17:32:10 UTC 2009

What Olga suggests about the "associative
between such Soviet informers and Nazi collaborators is extremely
interesting. Katarina's point "или под влиянием украинского говора?
например слово <уличный> будет poulicny.добавляется префикс.-по-"
cannot be ignored, but these two points do not necessarily contradict one
another.

Grossman's style is often seen as a bit dull and plodding.  I don't quite
agree with this view.  A few years ago, with regard to a passage from Life
and Fate, I wrote this:
"Before effectively condemning himself to death by refusing to work on the
construction of a gas chamber, Ikonnikov turns to an Italian priest and asks
a profound question in a haunting jumble of Italian, French and German: ‘Que
dois-je faire, mio padre, nous travaillons dans una Vernichtungslager.’
Grossman’s style has sometimes been called ponderous, typically Soviet; it
would be truer to say that Grossman is capable of many kinds of poetry, from
the fumbling, broken language of Ikonnikov to the self-denunciatory
eloquence of Krymov, but that, being suspicious of poetry for its own sake,
he gives himself up to it only when more ordinary language ceases to be
adequate."

But I don’t think I will be able to reproduce this particular subtlety, if
that is what it is.  I fear I shall be resorting to a footnote...

Thanks very much to everyone who has offered their thoughts!

R.