Scholarship on the status of non-Russian languages in the USSR

Rebecca Jane Stanton rjs19 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Apr 3 22:39:32 UTC 2009

Dear SEELANGers,

here's the promised list of sources on the above-named topic, collated
from the various suggestions people were kind enough to send me.  Many,
many thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my email.

Gratefully,
Rebecca Stanton
--

Bilaniuk, Laada. "Contested tongues: language politics and cultural
correction in Ukraine" (Cornell UP, 2005)  [Table of contents here:

Comrie, Bernard. 1981.  The Languages of the Soviet Union (Cambridge UP)

Fouse, Gary C.  2000.  The Languages of the Former Soviet Republics:
Their History and Development (University Press of America, 457 pp)

Grenoble, L. 2003. Language policy in the Soviet Union.

Kostomarov, Vitalij (trans. John Woodsworth).  My genius, my language.
[Details and a review at: http://kanadacha.ca/prosetr/MGML.html ]

Lauersdorf, Mark.  "Slavic Sociolinguistics in North America: Lineage
and Leading Edge," in: Slavic Sociolinguistics in North America, special
issue of the Journal of Slavic Linguistics, vol. 17, forthcoming summer
2009.

Lewis, E. G. 1973. Multilingualism in the Soviet Union. Aspects of Language
Policy and its Implementation. (Mouton:the Hague)

Poppe, E. and Hagendoorn, L. 'Titular Identification of Russians in Former
Soviet Republics' in Europe-Asia Studies, vol. 55, 2003, 771-787

Veinguer, A. and Davis, H. 'Building a Tatar Elite: Language and National
Schooling in Kazan' <http://etn.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/7/2/186>