Russia is older than Greece and Rome

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Mon Apr 6 02:09:39 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues,

Pursuant to the postings on the Ukrainian Buddha, let me draw your
attention to the work of the Russian mathematician Anatolii Fomenko,
who claims that
Russia is Older than Greece.  I quote from the 2009 book by Konstantin
Sheiko in collaboration with Stephen Brown, **Nationalist Imaginings
of the Russian Past.
Anatolii Fomenko and the Rise of Alternative History in Post-Communist
Russia** (= Soviet and Post-Soviet Politics and Society, vol. 86):

<<Anatolii Fomenko is a distinguished Russian mathematician turned
popular history writer, founder of the so-called New Chronology
school, and part of the explosion of alternative historical writing
that has emerged in Russia since the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Among his more startling claims are that the Old Testament was written
after the New Testament, that Russia is older than Greece and Rome,
and that the medieval Mongol Empire was in fact a Slav-Turk world
empire, a Russian Horde, to which Western and Eastern powers paid
tribute. While academic historians dismiss Fomenko as a dangerous
ethno-nationalist or post-modern clown, Fomenko’s publications
invariably outsell his conventional rivals. Just as Putin has restored
Russia’s faith in its future, Fomenko and an army of fellow
alternative historians are determined to restore Russia’s faith in its
past. For Fomenko, the key to Russia’s greatness in the future lies in
ensuring that Russians
understand the true greatness of their past. Fomenko and other pseudo-
historians have built upon existing Russian notions of identity,
specifically the widespread belief in the positive qualities of empire
and the special mission of Russia. He has drawn upon previous attempts
to establish a Russian identity, ranging from Slavophilism through
Stalinism to Eurasianism. While fantastic, Fomenko’s pseudo-history
strikes many Russian readers as no less legitimate than the lies and
distortions peddled by Communist propagandists, Tsarist historians and
church chroniclers.>>

Kind regards,
Natalia Pylypiuk, University of Alberta

Begin forwarded message: