career in translation

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Mon Apr 6 16:30:57 UTC 2009

Dear Russell and all,

> The professional translators on the list will speak for themselves, but my
> impression is that the paths into professional work are quite varied and that
> they often do not include professional degrees specifically designed to
> produce translators. I'd like to hear some anecdotal evidence to confirm this
> impression or not.
Well, I'm in my late fifties, and MAs in literary translation weren't around
30 years ago, so I am entirely without professional qualifications.  My
impression - with regard to literary translation - is that publishers, at
least in the UK, are still not that bothered about qualifications.  I donĀ¹t
know if it is any different in the USA.

Best Wishes,

Robert