career in translation

Michele A. Berdy maberdy at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 6 17:20:55 UTC 2009

My anecdotal evidence (and recommendations): Like Robert, I'm pretty much
self-taught for more or less the same reasons. I started by editing
translations into English done by Russians (at APN), which was a good
apprenticeship. And then I began to translate, over the years inventing my
own guidelines and rules. Much later, when there were more theoretical and
practical books and studies, I discovered that I had been reinventing the
wheel.

I don't think I'd recommend my path these days. There are good programs
(excellent schools in Russia!) and great study materials and theoretical
works. In two years you can learn in a structured way what I taught myself
in an unstructured way over a much longer period of time. And the market, if
you will, is different now, with many more competent, trained, and
experienced translators. I don't think formal training will necessarily make
you a better translator, but I think that it will make you a competent
translator faster.