career in translation

lvisson at AOL.COM lvisson at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 6 17:17:21 UTC 2009

Many people have made good suggestions, in particular looking at the ATA (American Translators Association List). Monterey (GSTI (Graduate School of Translation and Interpretation at MIIS - Monterey School of International Studies) ) is a good idea for an MA - there are various programs available, emphasizing either translation, or interpretation, or both (full disclosure: I teach there as an adjunct professor). Students with some experience in T and I can go into the program on advanced entry, i.e. into second  year, thus saving a year. For those  interested in the Russian program at Monterey, contact Rosa Kavenoki, the program head (not me!) at rkavenoki at miis.edu

There are also short-term programs available in Russia, including one-to-one instruction at MISTI (Moscow International School of translation and interpreting).

Students should be careful to check out on the qualifications of teachers of translation and interpretation, however, in some of the smaller programs. An excellent language teacher may not necessarily be a good teacher of translation, and, of course, interpretation is a completely different area.

Lynn Visson

-----Original Message-----
From: Ellen Elias-Bursac <eliasbursac at GMAIL.COM>
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Sent: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 3:24 am
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] career in translation

The American Translators Association has a list of schools:
http://www.atanet.org/careers/T_I_programs.php
I note that it doesn't list University of Massachusetts at Amherst which
also has a program.
The=2
0annual meeting of the ATA is a good place to get a sense of the
discipline and talk to some working translators.