The first Russian novel

Vadim Besprozvanny vbesproz at UMICH.EDU
Wed Apr 22 22:17:23 UTC 2009

Dear Natasha,

Since you’re “looking into the early development of the novel in
Russia, up to the 1830s” it may have sense to look briefly into some
peculiarities of the question.

The problem of the emergence of Russian novel is no way a simple one.

1) there are at least two perspectives: historical (how the contemporaries
of Russian writers have seen it) and modern (how we interpret this
problem);
2) there is still a certain confusion in terms: you can find the same work
defined as ‘povest’ or ‘roman’ (or without any authorial
definition). Thus, some Narezhny’s works still are named both ways.

>From the modern perspective supported by numerous researches and literary
reference books, there was a) a “formative period of Russian novel”
marked by a number of ‘povesti’ (17th century): “Povest o Frole
Skobeeve,” “… o Savve Grudtsune,” “… o Karpe Sutulove,” etc.
“Zhitie Protopopa Avvakuma” takes in this regard a special place, as it
is believed to be one of the first Russian novel that clearly brakes with
the existing canon of the genre. Avvakum’s work was in fact more a novel
than a hagiography; b) an “early period”; the authors of these
‘povesti’ or ‘romany’ did not enjoy a recognition among
“educated” readers (were contemned as a ‘low reading’): I. Novikov,
M.Komarov, F.Emin, M. Chulkov, some others; c) “birth of the genre”:
the first Russian writer recognized by the contemporaries (Viazemskii, I.
Dmitriev, and, finally Belinskii) as a novelist was V.T. Narezhny.
Ironically, some of them referred to his ‘povesti’ written in 1820s as
novels (“Dva Ivana”, “Bursak”), overlooking his first 'real' novel
"Rossiyskii Zhil Blaz" (published in 1810). At any rate, when F. Bulgarin
presented to the readers his four volumes of "Ivan Vyzhygin" (1829),
critics reminded him and his audience about Narezhny as a 'true' founder of
the genre.

Best regards,

VB

PS:
'Paul!' the Countess called from behind the screen. 'Send me some new
novel, only please not a modern one.' 'How do you mean, grand'maman?' 'I
mean, a novel in which the hero does not strangle his father or mother and
there are no drowned corpses. I am terribly afraid of them.' 'There are no
such novels nowadays. But perhaps you would like a Russian novel?' 'Are
there any Russian novels? Send me one, my dear, please do!' [Alexander
Pushkin. The Queen of Spades. Transl. by Natalie Duddington]