Consultation about e-brigades and virtual squads

Mon Apr 27 05:00:16 UTC 2009

Maria Dmytriyeva wrote:

> Dear Natalia,
>
> I haven't seen any decent analysis of this phenomenon, but it has
> been around for a while now. In the Ukrainian LiveJournal we first
> encountered these guys (the so-called star-shouldered bloggers) on a
> mass scale during the Orange Revolution. they were very similar to
> each other and they all sang the same song. a friend of mine who is
> an Internet-expert (I mean he is very knowledgeable about Internet
> nuts and bolts and technicalities) wrote a post on them then -- based
> on his observations these people were appearing with either
> identical or very similar IPs.
>
> they are usually called brigades. ...

Please note that "бригада" is a false friend for English speakers -- it
often doesn't denote the very large military formation we have in mind
when we hear "brigade." Rather, it often denotes what we would call a
"team," "crew," "squad," etc. -- up to a couple of dozen people, and not
necessarily military.

So if you mean to say these groups are usually called "бригады," that
seems entirely reasonable, but if you are saying they are usually called
"brigades" in English, that would be a mistranslation, not a natural use
of our language.

The term "fire brigade" is a special usage in English, and has mostly
fallen out of use in the U.S. in favor of "fire department." Nowadays,
it conjures up the image of a fire company with a single truck sounding
a bell instead of a siren.