1931 fire at Izd. ANSSSR

Alexandra Smith Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK
Mon Apr 27 06:38:32 UTC 2009

Dear Joe,

The fire is mentioned in Igor Pil'shchikov's article on Ten' Barkova
and Tsiavlovskii:http://www.rvb.ru/philologica/03/03pushkin.htm

I think that it's worth asking Igor' Pil'shikov himself to provide you
with references regarding the fire. He doesn't supply any footnotes
regarding this story but he must have seen some documents related to
this incident.

All best,
Alexandra

--------------------------------

Alexandra Smith (PhD, University of London)
Reader in Russian
Department of European Languages and Cultures
School of  Languages, Literatures and Cultures
The University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9JX
UK

tel. +44-(0)131-6511381
fax: +44- (0)131- 650-3604
e-mail: Alexandra.Smith at ed.ac.uk

Quoting Joe Peschio <peschio at UWM.EDU>:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> A fire is purported to have broken out in the Tipografiia Izdatel'stva
> ANSSSR in 1931.  According to one account, the proofs of Tsiavlovskii's
> commentary for the ballad "Ten' Barkova" were for several years
> presumed lost in this fire (they resurfaced in 1939).  I've looked high
> and low for any confirmation of this story, but haven't found anything
> yet.  Does anyone know about this fire?  Can anyone give me some leads
> on where I might look for more information?
>
> Many thanks for any help!
>
> Joe
>
> --
> ***
> Joe Peschio, PhD
> Assistant Professor of Russian, U. of Wisconsin--Milwaukee
> http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/FLL/faculty/peschio.html

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.