1931 fire at Izd. ANSSSR

Joe Peschio peschio at UWM.EDU
Tue Apr 28 02:37:22 UTC 2009

Many thanks, Vadim and Alexandra!

Yes, Shal'man's account in Philologica 3 is precisely the story I'm
trying to corroborate.  If there really was a fire, which seems very
unlikely for a number of reasons, perhaps there's record of it
somewhere.  I've of course talked with Igor' about it: Shal'man's story
(supposedly, from Tsiavlovskaia) is all we've got on the fire.
Ultimately, I suppose it's not that important a detail, but I'm dying to
know!

I should fix an embarrassing typo in my initial query: The fire would
have been in 1937, not 1931.  If anyone has any suggestions where I
might look for corroboration, I'd be most grateful!

BTW, for an updated version of this story with more archival materials,
see: I. Pil'shchikov and M. Shapir (ed.), /Ten' Barkova. Teksty.
Kommentarii. Ekskursy/.  (Moscow: Iazyki slavianskoi kul'tury, 2002):
158-59.

Cheers,
Joe Peschio

--