VAUGHAN JAMES MEMORIAL EVENT

John Langran john at RUSLAN.CO.UK
Tue Dec 1 12:58:38 UTC 2009

For any who, like me, are old enough to remember Vaughan, and were almost certainly inspired by him too, I am copying a notice from Beryl Williams about a memorial for Vaughan at Falmer in January. Please see below. Please pass this on to any relevant colleagues.
John Langran
www.ruslan.co.uk

We are planning a memorial event for Vaughan James (Lecturer in Russian 1964-73), who died last July aged 84, on Friday January 15. It will be held in the Meeting House at the University of Sussex at 5pm. and will be followed downstairs in the quiet room of the Meeting House by a Russian New Year party in his memory with refreshments. There will be a Russian choir singing during the evening. We know that many people remember Vaughan with great fondness and hope as many of you who remember him will come as possible. The address lists we have are incomplete, and probably out of date, so please pass this on to those we may not have contacted. More recent students are very welcome, but this will be primarily a memorial for Vaughan. The event will, we hope, start promptly at 5pm, but we will be downstairs from 4.30pm if you arrive early.

Please reply by January 6th at the latest to either Robin Milner- Gulland on R.R.Milner-Gulland at sussex.ac.uk or to Beryl Williams on B.J.Williams at sussex.ac.uk or to Beryl at 'Downscroft', Bowden Rise, Seaford, East Sussex, BN25 2HZ (tel. 01323 893962.)