how would you translate this word

ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Dec 4 23:32:35 UTC 2009

At 03:35 AM 12/4/2009, you wrote:
>that Ñ
ам [cham]* is itself perhaps an
>'old-school' word.  At any rate it is the sort
>of word I associate with persons of a certain
>age and disposition bemoaning the declining
>standards of behaviour among the younger
>generation.  For this reason I would be somewhat
>cautious about using some of the stronger terms
>that have been suggested, and especially those with overt sexual connnotations.
Thank goodness someone finally wrote the word in
an alphabet I can get in my Eudora.   Cham was one of my many guesses.
Okay, first of all, the word comes from the Old
Testament Kham, traditionally spelled Ham in
English.  This word was used in english as
well, but is truly obsolete in that meaning.
How about "nimrod"--another OT character, and a
word I have actually heard used by the "narod" in contemporary AmEnglish.
Jules Levin

>John Dunn.
>
>* Dr Johnson was at one time known as the Great
>Cham of Literature, though here the word is,
>apparently, a corruption of 'khan'.

ам" in