Spring 2010 literary translation conferences/events?

Cotter, Sean J sean.cotter at UTDALLAS.EDU
Mon Dec 7 20:48:29 UTC 2009

While this conference (below) is for graduate students, you might write
to ask whether your project would qualify.

Best,
Sean Cotter

4th Biannual Graduate Student Translation Conference

Year of Translation, Comparative Literature, University of Michigan

contact email:
tachtco at umich.edu

4th Biannual Graduate Student Translation Conference
April 23-25, 2010
University of Michigan
Keynote speaker: Susan Bernofsky

We are seeking graduate student translators to participate in the 4th
Biannual Graduate Student Translation Conference to be held April 23-25,
2010, as part of the University of Michigan's Year of Translation. We
hope to gather emerging and established translators for a weekend of
workshops and roundtables, as well as a keynote address and reading by
Susan Bernofsky, recipient of multiple awards from the PEN Translation
Fund and the National Endowment for the Arts.

We encourage graduate student translators translating from any time
period and any language into English to apply for a place in a
translation workshop. Workshops may include but are not limited to:
post-colonial literature, feminist literature, humor, drama, translating
dead authors, Jewish languages, Classical literatures, literature from
South Asia, East Asia, from the Middle East, from South America, from
Africa, from Europe.

Workshops will be limited to six participants. Each member will have one
text workshopped and will be expected to comment on the texts of the
other workshop members.

To apply for a workshop place, please send 5-10 poems or 5-10 pages of
prose, a scan of the original text, as well as a one-page statement
about your motivations for translating the text and specific challenges
it presented you as a translator. In your application, please indicate
at least one or two workshops (from the list above, or suggest a new
one) in which you would be interested in participating with your work.
Please also attach a CV. Submissions should be emailed to
michtranslation2010 at umich.edu.

The deadline for submissions is January 31, 2010. Applicants will be
notified of the organizers' decision by February 22.

Please note: a limited amount of financial assistance for travel may be
available in certain circumstances; contact the organizers if you would
not be able to attend without some support. Every effort will be made to
provide accommodation for successful applicants from outside the Ann
Arbor area; however, we can't guarantee accommodation.

Inquiries may be directed to the conference organizers, Emily Goedde
(egoedde at umich.edu) or Corine Tachtiris (tachtco at umich.edu).