Character encoding

Tue Dec 8 23:31:01 UTC 2009

Oleg Pashuk wrote:

> OOPS. Something went wrong as I was sending the reply. I was able to
> decode the numbers but after I sent an e-mail, it become all ?????
> In any case, use Universal online Cyrillic Decoder at
> <http://2cyr.com/decode/?lang=en>

That will always happen if you send anything but ASCII in a seven-bit
encoding, as you did. I don't use OE, so I don't know what the options
are, but I've seen this often enough to know it's a weak spot in the
program. Somehow many intelligent users are tricked or fooled into
sending Cyrillic as ASCII.

FWIW, I hear all these awful stories from people who can't read Cyrillic
on this list, and I believe them, but that's not my experience. Unless
it's been irreparably damaged by conversion to question marks, I can
read every encoding you throw my way. It's that way with SeaMonkey
today, and it was that way with Mozilla last year, and it was that way
with Netscape 4.7 when I joined SEELANGS "way back in the late fifties."

I suspect there's a problem when the digest is assembled, because the
system doesn't seem to know how to combine messages with different
encodings. Whichever it chooses, the rest turn to hash. There should be
a way to program it so that doesn't happen, but I don't know how. And
until the day comes when EVERYone sends EVERY message in Unicode, the
system will always have to combine messages with different encodings.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com