Character encoding

Michael Trittipo mike.trittipo at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 9 01:53:36 UTC 2009

2009/12/8 Paul B. Gallagher <paulbg at pbg-translations.com>:
> Oleg Pashuk wrote:
>
>> OOPS. Something went wrong as I was sending the reply. I was able to
>> decode the numbers but after I sent an e-mail, it become all ?????
. . .
> That will always happen if you send anything but ASCII in a seven-bit
> encoding, as you did. I don't use OE, so I don't know what the options are,
> but . . .
>
> FWIW, I hear all these awful stories from people who can't read Cyrillic on
> this list, and I believe them, but that's not my experience. Unless it's
> been irreparably damaged by conversion to question marks, I can read every
> encoding you throw my way.  . . .

Agreed.  Oleg's original (message ID and date and time follow) message

Date:         Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:52:43 -0500

answering Robert's query was fine; it was in

and that worked.  But Oleg's second message (ff'g ID & timestamp)

Date:         Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:35:13 -0500

was off.  I suspect that the reason is that it the message being replied to
(Susan's) was in a different encoding:

Some email programs have the bad habit of replying in the same encoding as
the message being replied to, regardless of default, unless kept in
tight control by
their operator.  And despite Susan's vote for Unicode, her message was in

Fwiw.

Mike Trittipo
Minneapolis, MN