labs and technology

Евгения Михайлова evgenia.mikhaylova at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 9 00:23:15 UTC 2009

That is a great question.

My observation is that language labs give multiple opportunities as compared
to the use of a home computer.
I find it very useful. FL context usually imposes time constraint on
speaking, so I used it to increase actual speaking time of every individual,
by testing students' speaking skills via the records they made as an answer
to a particular question or by giving them speaking home assignments that
should be recorded and carried out with their partner or on their own
depending on the focus.
3) set up Skype session with peer group in the target country
4) convert video into the desirable format
5) if you have a subscription to the TV channel, you might want to use TV
programs, commercials, TV series in various way. I find this very
beneficial. That way they get to listen authentic and up-to-date vocab and
speech rate
6) you can ask students to make video records about their everyday life,
then edit them in the video lab, encode subtitles and present it in the
class.

Evgenia Mikhaylova
University of Texas at Austin,
Graduate Student