Extraordinary Protagonists in Russian 19th Century Novel?

Valentino, Russell russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Fri Dec 11 23:24:31 UTC 2009

Your student can also find a thread on the "osobennyi" Rakhmetov and others like him (so, a type) in Paperno's Chernyshevsky and the Age of Realism, my own Vicissitudes of Genre in the Russian Novel (the chapter on the tendentious novel), and Andrew Drozd's What Is to Be Done? A Re-evaluation.

Russell Valentino

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Boele, O.F.
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2009 3:37 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Extraordinary Protagonists in Russian 19th Century Novel?

Dear Andrey Shcherbenok,

I would recommend your student to start with these two classics (contrary to what their titles suggest, they do discuss the issue of typicality at some length):

Rufus W. Matthewson, "The Positive Hero in Russian Literature" (Stanford: Stanford UP, 1975).
Barbara Heldt, "Terrible Perfection: Women and Russian Literature"(Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1992 [1987]).

I also take the liberty of pitching my own study on the subject: "Erotic Nihilism in Late Imperial Russia: the Case of Mikhail Artsybashev's Sanin" (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2009).

Good luck!

Otto Boele
University of Leiden