Same song, dif words?

Mark Kingdom k2kingdom at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 13 15:23:58 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I'm trying to compile a list of American/English tunes that Russian kids
would know, either because:

A)... they sing the English tune itself (they way everyone in Russia seems
to know "Happy Birthday" and most kids here seem to know "Jingle Bells"), or

B) ... because it is also a Russian tune with its own words. Take for
example, the French song Frere Jacques*: *We have the same tune in English,
but we call it "Are You Sleeping?" (If memory serves, "Twinkle Twinkle"
(also The Alphabet Song) was originally a French tune as well.) In other
words, are there Russian versions of Mary Had A Little Lamb, or Hot Cross
Buns, Row Your Boat, London Bridge...*any* of these or similar kids' songs?

Thanks!

Mark