Rusglish

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sun Dec 27 18:43:53 UTC 2009

Well, before calling something hideous, in this case Runglish, the
referent, not the word, it has to be well defined. If it's just off
the boat English, that's one thing, if we are talking about the
borrowings — and nowadays Russian is full of English phrases —
раскачивать лодку, мы все в одной лодке etc. well, that's a different
story altogether. In the past phrases came from French, German,
Polish (какая муха тебя укусила, шито белыми нитками, штука в том
etc.), now they come from English. Some even object to individual
words, but any linguist knows that borrowings are one of the main
sources of vocabulary. Russians who object to киллер have no idea
that кровать and собака are also borrowed.

Or take code-switching. This is a whole branch of linguistics. So
which part is hideous?

On Dec 27, 2009, at 12:43 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

> Stuart Goldberg wrote:
>
>> I've always heard "Ringlish" (though here a problem arises with
>> confusing spelling).  Rusglish is indeed hideous.
>
> For my money, the fact that it's hideous is a point in its favor. A
> word should reflect its referent, and this one does.
>
> --
> War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
> --
> Paul B. Gallagher
> pbg translations, inc.
> "Russian Translations That Read Like Originals"
> http://pbg-translations.com

> ---

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian