Going with Nuno + Rusglish

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Mon Dec 28 15:24:09 UTC 2009

As a general rule all foreign personal names ending in -o are indeclinable (in practical terms that can probably be extended to all personal names with the same ending).  There is, though, a лазейка [lazejka] with Marco, in that you can 'russify' it to Марк, an option that does not exist with Nuno (Nuño?).

Switching to today's other topic, руслиш [ruslish] was one of the words proposed for Mikhail Epshtein's Слово года [Slovo goda] project, though it failed to make any of the shortlists:
http://www.newsru.com/russia/16dec2009/yearword.html
http://blog.imhonet.ru/author/konkurs1/post/1045766/

It occurs to me that there are three different phenomena being referred to here:
(1) Russian with what some consider to be an unduly large admixture of anglicisms (e.g. in business- or computer-related contexts) ;
(2) English containing russianisms (as might be produced by some native speakers of Russian;
(3) The mixture of Russian and English produced by some native speakers of Russian living in anglophone countries.
I am not sure whether any useful purpose would be served by trying to decide on a distinct term for each of these phenomena.

Oh, and my pronunciation of 'English' does include a /g/.

John Dunn.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Kingdom <k2kingdom at GMAIL.COM>
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:59:16 +0200
Subject: [SEELANGS] Going with Nuno

Hi All,

Quick Q: I have two friends, Marco and Nuno.

I'm going with Marco to the store.

I'm going with Nuno to the store.

Я иду с Марком...

Я иду с Нуно...

Do you add the 'm' to either of these? I want to make it "Markom" but not
"Nunom". (Nuno is a famous guitarist, in case you think I'm just making up
names here.)

Thanks, and fsem s prazdnikom,

Mark

John Dunn
Honorary Research Fellow, SMLC (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow, Scotland

Address:
Via Carolina Coronedi Berti 6
40137 Bologna