Going with Nuno + Rusglish

John Dingley jdingley at YORKU.CA
Mon Dec 28 18:18:44 UTC 2009

Interesting that John Dunn has no [g] in his pronunciation of "English",
thus pronouncing it [i at lish] and not [i at glish]. I would not think that
the pronunciation [i at lish] is that widespread anywhere in the English-
speaking world.

For [@g] to be reduced to [@] there normally has to be a clear morpheme
boundary, e.g. singer [si@]+er, longing [lo@]+ing. There are exceptions,
e.g. finger [fi at g]+er, although here no morpheme boundary may be felt
and the [@g] > [@] would not then apply. However, in England at least,
[@g] > [@] carries with it a touch of class and is applied by the would-be
upper echelons even where it strictly speaking should not be, e.g.
Langham, [la@]+(h)am rather than the expected [la at g]+(h)am, gingham
[gi@]+(h)am rather than [gi at g]+(h)am. Under severe uxorial pressure I was
obliged to change the pronunciation of my very own family name, i.e.
Dingley, from [di at gli:] to [di at li:], the former being far too common for
my RP-speaking better half. C'est la vie anglaise!

John Dingley